Thursday, January 29, 2015

"I'm very sorry for making the class invisible"

This can be filed under "Conversations I never thought I would have", which, teaching Minecraft, could be it's very own blog name!

Brandon "I just want to tell you that I'm very sorry about yesterday"

Me "Thank you, I appreciate your apology. Do you know why what you did wasn't appropriate?"

So far so good, right? This is the same conversation teachers have a hundred times a day....

Brandon "Yes, but I just wanted to make it so that people couldn't see what I was doing"

Me confused "But, how would putting invisibility potions on other students make it so that they can't see what you're building?"

And that is where this conversation takes a sharp left from the millions of other conversations I've had over the years with students!

But, really, it doesn't.

Yes, we were talking about his choice to throw invisibility potions on his classmates, and no that is not specifically covered in classroom management 101, but really we were talking about off-task behavior, personal space, the norms and rules set up by a community, decision making, and all the other things that teachers and students talk about every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment