Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Number 7 becomes number 1!

MckennaP (her user name) came into class today all excited. "I'm number 7 on your blog!!".

It took me a moment to figure out what she meant, and yes, she is #7 from yesterday's blog post. She is the student who started practicing her scene from Bud, not Buddy at home before we started the project. She was so excited that she was one of the moments that I chose to highlight.

At the end of class, I warn students that I am saving the world. Any changes or actions that happen after I click save, don't show up the next day, so they race to do "just one last thing" before I click. After I had saved, MckennaP came up to me and said, "I think I accidentally set the library on fire, but I hope I did it after you saved". I told her that I would log back in and check. Low and behold, when I logged back in, their entire building was engulfed in flames!


Not MckennaP's library, I was too panicked to take a picture

Not having any clue what to do, I grabbed the closest kid and told them to go get MckennaP from her class, then I started dumping water buckets EVERYWHERE! Pretty soon, I had the remains of a building, now totally flooded and still sprouting fires here and there. Again, a brand new classroom management moment for me!



Also not MckennaP's library....



MckennaP and her partner spent most of their next class (Shout out to Mr. B, ELA teacher for letting them stay) rebuilding....






She did give me the suggestion that we shouldn't tell the other students what happened, because she is worried that they will start setting their buildings on fire just to get more Minecraft time. We came up with a (totally believable) story about how I was carrying flint and steel and set the library on fire accidentally, and they needed to fix it......

3 comments:

  1. I'm laughing at myself so hard right now that it is not even funny... I feel like Mr. Cobb wants to yell at me because I just started laughing in the middle of class. He's like giving me the death look right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI, if you want, in MinecraftEDU, you can turn off fire and TNT as the teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm aware of that. We needed fire and TNT turned on for another student's project.

      Delete